Saturday, September 05, 2026

Football Counter-Programming 2026: Week 1--Seriously . . . is this a space for serious stuff?



What is the point of a blog if you are afraid to write in it?

If you aren't prepared to use a public forum to air out the biggest issues in your life, then why have such a forum at all?

Normally I use these sort of rhetorical devices to set up my FC-P theme of the week and then spin off into some nonsense that wraps around to the uselessness of college football. But maybe now I'm being more authentic than rhetorical and I'm grappling with the fact that life's problems are significant and people's lives are being reflected on. How comfortable am I dropping this stuff onto an online platform that tens of people might read?

To help me, let's put together a Pros and Cons list maybe.

PROS
1. Despite that fact that dozens of people read this space, it might helpful to lock all of the details of stuff here and maybe minimize the number of times that I would have to explain everything. It does get wearisome explaining your situation time and time again. Better to get it all out once and then hope you don't have to keep explaining yourself every time you turn around?

2. It is a sort of word processor-based therapy for me. Better mental health through increased words-per-minute.



CONS
1. I should remember that I am typing about real people with real lives and airing out their real situations--without their express consent. I don't know how David Sedaris keeps getting away with lightly editing his own family dramas into best-selling books and touring shows. But aside from our first names, he and I have nothing in common and I'm very confident that I would not have the familial leeway that he enjoys.

2. Let's be real. . . . Why Won't Your Grow?! is no one's preferred platform for anything. No breaking news is being effectively disseminated from this almost 30 year old platform. It's a friggin' BLOGSPOT webpage! That was effectively out of date a week after I posted my first WWYG?! post in 2004. So, putting anything of substance here is going to do me no good.

(side note about Con #1--Back when I was a young parent and a young blogger, I was having quite a day disagreeing with one of my very young kids. Both of us where digging our heels in and would not budge our position. And man . . . was I angry about it. I was very frustrated that I was being pushed around by a little kid and I didn't know what to do with that frustration and my anger. 

So, I typed it all out in a very angry blog post and I published it. Or I was very close to publishing it. But while this was happening, Lynda got in touch via phone with our priest and I got a phone call. With gentle words and some calming perspective, I took the post down and started to begin calming down. And maybe that is all that I need to remember about this now.)

SO!

What, then, are we left with?

Just keep tossing together the same old half-baked, quickly conceived drivel that I've been doing seasonally since the early 2010s? 

Keep trying to come up with a weekly idea that has some tenuous connection to collegiate pigskin and then vainly attempt to be diverting enough? 

Keep hammering away at the quixotic conceit that this little game plays any role in what you choose to do each Fall weekend?

Guess so . . . !

See you next week . . . and remember everyone. Your alma mater had no idea what is going on in your personal life. They just want a. alumni checks, b. occasional sports ticket purchases, c. lots of merch purchases, and d. no angry tweets about how bad this year's defensive line is performing.

No comments: